Saturday, June 23, 2012

Birthday dinners - The Keg on Thurlow

I love the Keg.
Despite that they are chain restaurants and all, I find them to be one of the more reasonably priced steak houses that serve up great steaks.
Jordan and I made it to their Crab festival month for this birthday dinner, here is what we ordered.

20oz rib steak
Jordan ordered the rib steak.  It was a really nice piece of steak.  It was perfectly rare with a really nice char on the outside.  The meat was also really really flavourful ( I didn't understand the "flavourful" until I've had a filet mignon and a sirloin grilled to the same doneness side by side; if you have difficulty grasp that, you should try my method too!)  He enjoyed this!

Crab dinner
I had a really great experience with their crab dinner when I was back in Toronto.  The crab was sweet and meaty and it was everything a crab lover could as for on a dungeness crab!  I loved it so much that I was so excited when I found out that the Kegs here in Vancouver also has the crab fest so that is exactly what I ordered.  After all, Vancouver is where dungeness crabs come from!  How can this go wrong?

What a disappointment.

The crab must have been starved for days before they cooked it.  It didn't have much meat in it and was incredibly salty.  The meat was quite dry (probably from being boiled or steamed for too long) and it was just quite awful.  The grilled veggies were nice tho - but those will never make up for the failed crab dinner.

The ambiance here is great tho, definitely more lively than some of the other Keg restaurants and the high ceiling really upstages everything.  Service was phenomenal and our water glass was never empty.  Over all I enjoyed this dinner, not because of the crab but because of everything else.  (I will be smart and order a steak next time.) 

Food: 4/5 (crab was the reason for -1)
Service:  5/5 (amazing, despite the traffic)
ambiance: 5/5 (great for date nights or nights out!!)

  Keg Steakhouse & Bar - Thurlow on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment